Saturday, February 13, 2010

Introducing "The Gundy"

OK. I am a slacker. Seriously. I decide to start blogging and what do I do? Nothing. Nada. Zip. So it's been a couple of weeks since my last post. Sue me. I had other stuff to do. The dog ate my homework. My car wouldn't start. It was, in fact, totally..........my fault. I got caught up in work and family life and I totally ignored my blog. Be assured that I am totally ashamed of myself. Really.

No. I'm not going to lose any sleep. Not over this anyway.

So - back to it then.

So this week, class, I am going to introduce my favorite sandwich. Try to contain your enthusiasm. I mean really. You are embarrassing yourself. Here it is: The Gundy

2 Slices Vermont Bread Company Oatmeal Oatbran bread
3 slices of Virginia baked ham (brand is not important, but make sure it is very thinly sliced)
2 slices American Cheese (again, brand not important, but the real cheese - not processed - is better)
A shmear of Smuckers Low Sugar sweet orange marmalade
1/2 tbls Buttah (not margarine - seriously)

Pop your favorite frying pan on the stove top and pre-heat it on high. You can also use a grill if you have one and I've even done this on a George Forman grill - although it tends to squish the sandwich.Spread the marmalade on one slice of the bread and lay on one slice of cheese then the ham. I always bunch the ham up - don't lay it on in slices. Really. It tastes better this way. Try it. Lay on the other slice of cheese and close up the sandwich. Butter one side of the bread - don't chicken out here, just go for it and lay it on as thick as you dare. Drop the sandwich onto your cooking surface and be ready to drop the heat on the stove or you'll be hushing your smoke alarm a couple of times - trust me. After about a minute or two, check the down side and make sure it is browning nicely - not burning. Butter the top side and flip that baby over. By this point, you should be down to medium to medium low heat. Let it brown nicely on this side and then flip it out of the pan and onto a plate. I always garnish with potato chips and a paper towel. Eat it hot or the cheese will start to congeal and ruin the whole experience. The marmalade really makes this sandwich magic. I've not tried it with other types of marmalade, but you can experiment. Play around with the amount of marmalade to your taste, but it should be fairly subtle or it'll overpower the other flavors.

Bon Appetit!

'Til next time........

No comments:

Post a Comment