Monday, March 1, 2010

Go ahead, hate me........

So I have a confession to make. I kind of hate the Olympics. Really, I do. I don't hate ALL of the Olympics, but I am so thankful that they are finally over. Seriously, do people actually like watching endless hours of curling? My wife really likes the Olympics and watches them pretty much every night, regardless of how boring the sport is. I usually tune out or take a nap. I've been napping a lot over the last few weeks. I also miss the few shows I DO like to watch.

My favorite part? The pomp and ridiculosity of the opening ceremonies? Not so much. The pageantry and ludicrousness of the closing ceremonies? I didn't even try to stay up. My favorite part? That last hockey game between the Canadians and the US.

As a rule, I do not enjoy televised sports. If I'm not playing, I'm not interested. I don't know any of those guys and I can't stand the commercial breaks. The Olympic hockey match was, however pretty cool. I felt a twinge of sadness for that goalie who let in that last goal, but it was a good game. Even for me. And the best part? It marked the end of the usurping of my entertainment.

So now, we get to get back to "real life" and everybody has to come up with some new watercooler fodder. While flipping around the 8 channels of cheap cable we get, I noticed there is some idiotic "reality tv" show that has been on since 8 o'clock. It is now 10. WTF is soooooo goddamned interesting about some pretty boy trying to find a date/ wife on national tv? Seriously. At the most, feel free to paraphrase it and give me the Cliff's notes, and then leave me alone. Anybody who believes there is any "reality" left on tv deserves to be so misled. Enjoy the sand as it continuously fills your ears.

I do enjoy television, so don't get the idea that I am some tree-hugging hippy dip that hates the mass media as a way of life. I hate it as a past time. I know what you're thinking:" This guy needs to get a new hobby". And you may be right about that.

I do enjoy television. There is some good writing still out there and some creative producers putting out shows that don't suck or lower my i.q. more than a few points. I also have a soft spot for adolescent sitcoms that make good use of euphemisms. Case in point is 2.5 Men. This is classic high school humor, but it is well done and is well acted. I also enjoy Chuck. What's not to like about a slapsticky spy dramedy?

I am now writing this because at 10, the programming goes to some miserable shows that highlight how rotten the world is in high drama. Or it's some pseudo-news from those "fair and balanced" clowns. I don't need that kind of mental trauma right before I go to bed. I have enough trouble sleeping. So instead, I'm blogging myself to sleep.

So go ahead and hate me for banging on the Olympics. I'll get over it - until the next Summer Olympics. But at least by then, I can just go outside and feed the mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment